Jon’s favorite cake to make (other than our kids birthday cakes) is carrot cake. My favorite cake to eat is absolutely carrot cake with cream cheese Frosting!! What’s not to love here? Maybe it’s the layers of cream cheese frosting, or maybe its the fact we can bake carrots into cake and pretend we’re eating our vegetables!? Either way, Jon’s sharing his recipe below – Enjoy!
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups (250 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp Ginger ground
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp Salt himalayan
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Light Brown Sugar (300 grams)
- 1/2 cup Applesauce (or crushed pineapple)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups Carrots (300 grams) grated, lightly packed
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 oz Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Butter unsalted at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar (360 grams)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Pecans chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch round pans and line bottom of each with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla extract until fully combined. Add the grated carrots into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk or rubber spatula until just combined. Do not to over mix the batter.
- Pour the cake batter evenly between both prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops of the cakes are set and a toothpick inserted into the center of each one comes out clean. Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, and allow to cool in the pans for about 20-25 minutes. Once the cakes have cooled, remove from the pans and return the cakes to the wire rack to finish cooling.
Cream Cheese Frosting + Assembly
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter and mix for about 1 minute until smooth. Gradually add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue mixing until fully combined.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake stand, top with a 1/3rd of the frosting. Smooth frosting out into one even layer. Place the other cake on top and use the remaining frosting to frost the top and sides of the cake. Top with chopped pecans. (optional)