We say TOMATO!! It’s beginning to feel like fall in Connecticut and I’m feeling all the comforts of the season with a warm creamy bowl of tomato soup served with a side of grilled cheese sandwiches!! The kids are also happy with this pairing because a simple classic is always a classic!! This recipe is perfect to pull together on the weekend giving you leftovers all week long!
What makes this soup extra rich? High quality heavy cream helps give it a smooth and creamy flavor! Who’s ready for warm soup season?! I’m ready for the leaves to change colors, warm bonfires, and the cozy aromas of fall to fill my home!
Creamy Tomato Soup
- Countertop Blender or Immersion Blender
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 Tbsp Thyme fresh leaves
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 2 28 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 8 cups Water
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add thyme, onion, and
garlic. Cook until onion is completely soft and translucent, 10–12
minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; add tomato paste. Continue
cooking, stirring often, for about 6 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and 8 cups water to pot. Bring to a simmer for about, 50
minutes. Remove soup from heat; let cool slightly.
- Working in small batches, purée soup in a blender until smooth. You can also use an Immersion blender right in the pot if you have one!
- Stir in ¼ cup cream. Simmer soup until flavors meld, about 15 more minutes. Season to taste with salt, pepper. Add more cream, if desired for extra creamy texture.