Ladies and Gentlemen we have a Galette in the Thanksgiving spread this week! It’s one of our family favorite desserts and you can eat it like a pizza so it’s a win-win! We have this recipe down to a science and the secret ingredient is not to be missed!! Hint: It’s all about the cookie layer barrier between the crust and the apple-cranberry topping. This barrier helps to absorb moisture to give you a crispy crust and a juicy top.
Truly a rustic dessert with loads of hidden flavor! I like to grind orange zest into the the crust and crushed ginger snap cookies, (shhhhh this is the secret ingredient) blended with almond meal and sugar make the cookie layer barrier seen above.
Roll out chilled dough into a circle like a pizza. Transfer onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread out the cookie mixture (think of it like pizza sauce) but leave a 2″ boarder so you can fold in the crust edge. Slice two large apples and arrange on top. Fold over the edge of the crust as seen above and brush outer edges of crust with egg wash. Lightly press in almond slivers around the edge of the crust. Slice the cranberries in half and arrange on top. Cut 1 tablespoons of cold butter and place in bits on top of the apples to keep them moist while baking.
Cuts just like a pizza!! Add an optional dusting of powdered sugar before serving for a festive look! This dessert is lightly sweet, tart, and most cheerful set at any holiday table!
- Rolling Pin
- Baking Sheet
- 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Orange Zest
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 stick Butter cold unsalted, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 5 Tbsp Cold Water Divided 4 Tbsp +1 Tbsp
- 1/4 cup Almonds slivered
- 7 Ginger Snap Cookies crushed
- 1/4 cup Almond Meal
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Apples Honeycrisp or Washington, cored + sliced thin
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Cranberries Decas Farms Organic, cut in half
- 1 Tbsp Butter cut into small cubes
For the Crust
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange zest, and salt. Using your fingertips, work the butter into the mixture until most of it resembles coarse meal with some pea-size pieces. Form a well in the center. Sprinkle with 4 Tbsp. of the cold water. Mix with your fingertips until the dough holds together enough to form a ball. If too dry, add the remaining water by the teaspoon, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Press dough it into an 8-inch round. Wrap it tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days before rolling out.
Cookie Mix + Filling
- Crush ginger snaps in a reusable bag using a rolling pin. In a medium bowl combine ginger snaps, almond meal and sugar, mix well.
- Thinly slice apples and toss in a small bowl with sugar and cinnamon.
Assemble the Galette
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough creating a circle about 12 inches in diameter and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the cookie mix over the dough evenly, leaving a 2-inch border like in the photo above. Arrange the apple mixture in the center on top of the crumbs and fold the 2-inch border of the dough toward the center, loosely pleating as you go and pressing to repair any tears. Top the apples with the halved cranberries and dot the exposed apples with the remaining tablespoon of butter cubes.
- Brush outer dough with egg wash and place sliced almonds on top as in photo above.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until golden brown.
From time to time, I work with amazing companies I believe in to develop recipes for my website. Today’s post was brought to you by Decas Farms! All opinions are 100% my own and I thank you for supporting the brands that encourage my creativity.