Party Food!!!! Need a FAST last minute idea for snacking or a beautiful bite to add to your next gathering or holiday party?? I got you!! With the decadence of so many party dishes it’s always nice to incorporate a little spark of something light and refreshing! These mini hummus cups are the perfect go-to bites to add to any entertaining menu! The best part is you can have these made in less than 15 minutes (not including homemade beet hummus time).
To get started and keeping things simple, I always like to prepare my beet hummus in advance. This allows time for the flavors to pop and shine! Typically, I roast a batch of beets a few days in advance reserving one medium beet for the hummus. I incorporate the other beets during the week into meals for Lillian and me. I am a huge fan of incorporating all ingredients I shop for during the week into as many dishes as possible. Waste not, want not!! If you love beets you can find our beet hummus recipe below!! Unfortunately, Jon and Darren are not beet fans. If you are like the boys in this family, no worries – you can substitute any hummus flavor here! You can even pick up a store- bought tub because we want to keep this simple!
After you have prepared or purchased your hummus, you want to fill it into a plastic bag and cut one of the corners off. This will allow you to pipe the hummus out of the bag into the cup. This is really just for visual appeal. The piping makes it look more uniformed, versus spooned in like a glob. Store-bought phyllo cups need to be baked and cooled before you pipe in the hummus. I will usually bake my cups a few hours in advance because they hold the crisp on the shell. However, DO NOT FILL WITH HUMMUS until you are ready to eat them or they will get soggy.
Remember, after you bake the cups and they cool completely, you can pipe hummus out of a bag (just snip one corner to pipe). Top filled cups with diced veggies like rainbow bell peppers and cucumbers. You can garnish with crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese and serve immediately after filling. These cups pair well with cold cocktails and friends!
Beet Hummus Cups
- 1 Pack Phyllo Shells we used Athens Foods (15 shells in a pack)
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 2 Mini Cucumbers chopped
- 4 oz Feta Cheese crumbled
- Prepare beet hummus as instructed in our recipe below. Fill prepared hummus into a plastic bag and snip one corner of the bag for piping.
- Bake store-bought phyllo cups as instructed and allow them to cool completely.
Chop your bell pepper and cumcubers.
- Pipe hummus out of a bag into the cooled phyllo shells. Top filled cups with diced veggies and garnish with crumbled feta cheese. Serve filled cups immediately or they will get soggy!
- 1 Beet roasted & peeled
- 15 oz Chickpeas drained
- 1 Lemon zested
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Roasted Beet:Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wrap beet in aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven until cooked through, approximately 45 to 60 minutes. Let beet cool and use your fingers to rub/peel off the skin. This is a messy job and your hand will become the most beautiful shade of deep fuchsia (pretty but messy). Slice peeled beet into quarters.
- Make Hummus:Place sliced beets in food processor and blend into small bits. Add in all other ingredients except the oil and blend until smooth consistency. Pour in oil and pulse until smooth. You can add a spoonful of water if needed to reach the consistency you like! Salt + pepper to taste. Serve w/fresh veggies + pita or crackers!