All the flavors of southern Italy are inspired by this dish. Sun-dried tomatoes, skillet chicken, topped with warm goat cheese, and fresh basil is a dream come true for this Italian family! I am absolutely obsessed with warm goat cheese on chicken, but the fact the kids dig it too – I’m winning!!
Skillet chicken is a staple dinner for us during the workweek grind because its quick, easy, and fills up hungry kids!! Chicken in is such a versatile protein and can be transformed into so many different dishes with a few ingredients. The idea with this recipe is to create the sun-dried pesto spread in advance and transform your basic chicken into something delicious. This dish is cozy, colorful, and would ALSO be perfect for holiday entertaining!!!
The sun-dried tomato pesto spread will hold well for a week in the fridge stored in an airtight container. I have also made double batches of this spread to freeze in ice cube trays. Frozen cubes on hand help with dinner emergencies!! Defrost and toss with warm pasta and a side of sauteed spinach for a quick eat! For a weeknight meals this chicken pairs well with cauliflower rice. For entertaining this pairs well with whipped garlic & thyme mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts with bacon.
Sun-Dried Tomato Skillet Chicken with Goat Cheese
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 3 tbsp Oil olive or avocado
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- 4 oz Goat Cheese
- 8 leaves Basil
- 2 tbsp Butter melted
- Clean chicken breasts, pat dry with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or a non stick pan. Add in the oil and heat until the oil shimmers. Add the chicken to the pan (it should make a nice ‘searing sound’ as you lower it in the pan. Turn heat to medium low. After 6-7 minutes turn over chicken. The total cook time should be for 20 to 25 minutes, turning several times in between. Chicken is done when internal temp reaches 165 degrees on the thickest part of the chicken and the juices run clear!
- Top each cooked chicken breast with 3 tablespoons of sun-dried tomato pesto spread. On top of the pesto spread add a round of goat cheese.
- Place skillet under the broiler (6 inches from heat) and warm the pesto spread and cheese for 3-5 minutes. If you are using a pan that is unable to go in the oven transfer the chicken to a baking sheet instead.
- Garnish with fresh basil and a drizzle of warm melted butter to finish.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Spread
- 1 cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes not packed in oil
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 cup Basil Leaves
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 pinch pepper to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, crushed garlic, basil leaves, pine nuts, parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt, pepper, red pepper flakes into a food processor. Pulse until a crumbly paste forms.
- Drizzle in olive oil slowly and continue to mix until blended!!! You can add additional oil if needed until you reach the paste consistency you like.