Keeping hydrated from the inside out!! Experimenting with new aloe smoothie flavors in this matcha, mango, and aloe vera smoothie recipe!! I started introducing Aloe Vera into my food routine about a year ago after my mother-in-law started using it in her diet for medical reasons. To be clear, I’m not talking about the tiny Aloe house plants, or the bottled gel you use for sunburn. I’m talking about the Mexican desert plant whose thick leaves are the size of my leg. You can buy the plant leaves fresh at specialty grocery stores or at most Whole Foods Markets!
We use every piece of the plant leaf and we cut it up almost like a watermelon!! Slicing the leaf into thick two inch chunks and carving off the skin/rind. The inside flesh/gel we use for smoothies and the outer rind we rub on us to hydrate our own skin. We also freeze pieces of the rind for the kids boo-boos/ouchies. Alone, the aloe is bitter to eat, but when you blend it up with frozen bananas and mango, it’s awesome!
Why drink the Aloe Vera?!?! It’s great for your skin with hydrating properties, it’s a rich source of antioxidants, and can help improve digestion. The gel is made up of around 96% water, some organic, and inorganic compounds, a type of protein which contains 18 of the 20 amino acids found in the body, and lastly, Vitamins A, B, C and E.
Matcha, Mango, and Aloe Smoothie
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1 Banana frozen
- 3/4 cup Mango frozen
- 1/4 cup Aloe Vera Leaf Two (2 inch strips) of gel, skin removed
- 1 tsp Matcha Powder
- Wash and dry your aloe vera leaf before cutting.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the hard, spine edges on either side of the leaf (cutting lengthwise). Make your cut as close to the spines as possible so that you don’t lose a lot of gel in the process.
- Next, cut the leaf in two inch strips and carefully slice away the skin of the aloe vera leaf. This will be the thin, outer green layer you see. Run your knife between it and the thick, clear, gel at the center. Repeat this process for all pieces on both the top and bottom layer.
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and combine until smooth.