Getting cozy with a warm bowl of Organic Chicken Tortilla Soup. Loaded with shredded chicken, vegetables, corn tortillas, fresh cilantro and shredded cheese make this soup an exceptional meal. The purpose of the corn tortillas in this recipe is to help thicken the base of this hearty soup. If you can’t find corn tortillas you can use crushed corn tortilla chips (do not use flour tortillas). Enjoy!! – Sarah
Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Dutch Oven or Large Soup Pot
- 2 Tbsp Butter Organic Valley
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1 cup Celery chopped
- 1 Jalapeno minced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 14.5 oz cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 lb Chicken Breast Organic Prairie
- 6 (6 inch) Soft Corn Tortillas cut into 1-inch pieces (*see note)
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Corn Frozen
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans
- 1 cup Whole Milk Organic Valley
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
Toppings + Add In's (optional)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shreds Organic Valley
- Sour Cream Organic Valley
- Lime wedges
- Corn Tortilla Chips
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, carrots, and celery to the pot and cook 3 minutes. Add jalapenos and garlic and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, whole chicken breasts, corn tortillas, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and salt. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the poached chicken breasts from pot and let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes. Using 2 forks shred chicken and add back to simmering pot.
- Add corn, black beans, milk, lime juice, and cilantro. Continue to simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir well and season with additional salt if needed.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with optional toppings like shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, avocado slices and chopped fresh cilantro. Serve a wedge of lime and a few corn tortilla chips on the side!