Saucy Chickpeas and Rice
Saucy chickpeas so versatile you can swap out seasonings you have on hand making a cozy dish any day of the week! Saucy chickpeas served with fluffy rice, flatbread, or steamed broccoli.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil or other favorite oil
- 1/2 White Onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger minced
- 1 14.5 oz can Organic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom ground
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seed ground
- Himalayan Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Hot Chili Sauce (like Sriracha)
- 1 cup Chicken Stock (or Water)
- 2 15.5 oz cans Chickpeas or 1 cup dry beans (cook as instructed on package)
- *Rice, Flatbread, or Steamed Broccoli Optional Sides
If using canned beans drain and rinse the chickpeas well under cold running water. If preparing from dried beans, prepare as instructed on box. Set prepared beans aside.
In a large fry pan over medium heat add oil and saute the onion, garlic, and ginger for about 3 minutes until golden in color.
Add in the can of diced tomatoes and all the seasonings. Stir to mix everything well.
**Add in the chicken stock (or water) and chickpeas. Cover with a lid and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy with a side of fluffy rice, flatbread, or steamed broccoli.
*Prepare 'Optional' sides as needed.
** At this step you can also adjust flavors by adding more spice as desired to taste. You may also need to add more stock (or water) as needed to reach desired level of sauciness. Don't be afraid to "taste" and "test" your flavors here as they come together. I usually end up adding in another round of hot chili sauce at this point for extra heat.