Red Curry Coconut Soup
This version of red curry coconut soup is loaded with veggies, tofu, and brown rice noodles. The broth is packed with the soothing flavor of coconut milk and a kick of heat from tiny red spur chillis which are the base of the red curry paste
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 White Onion sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Ginger (8 Slices) 1/4" slices
- 1 Lemongrass Stalk tender parts removed + chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Red Thai Curry Paste
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 13.5 oz can Coconut Milk full fat
- 1 Red Bell Pepper deseeded, cut into strips
- 1 cup White Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Zucchini cut in 1/4" slices
- 1 12 oz box Firm Tofu press out liquid + cut in 1/4" slice
- 3-4 tbsp Lime Juice
- 4 Green Onions sliced on the bias
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 8 oz package Brown Rice Noodle's OR Rice
Heat coconut oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add in the onion, garlic, red curry paste, ginger, and lemongrass. Stir often until the onion becomes tender, this should take about 5 minutes.
Add in chicken broth and reduce the heat to a simmer for about 25 minutes.
Place a sieve over a clean pot and pour the broth mixture through the strainer allowing you to separate the aromatics (mostly the ginger/lemongrass) from the smooth broth.
Use the back of a spoon to press the aromatics through the sieve to get all those good Thai flavors back into your broth.
Return broth to stove over medium-low heat and add in the coconut milk. Whisk well to combine. Add in bell pepper, mushrooms, tofu, zucchini slices and simmer for about 15 minutes.
While soup is simmering, prepare rice noodle's or rice as instructed on package.
To serve, place noddles in bowl and pour hot soup over the top. Garnish with lime wedge, fresh cilantro, and green onion.